Friday, April 11, 2008

Sharkwater.


Okay - So last night we watched SHARKWATER: The Truth Will Surface. Absolutely amazing.

I, personally have never been so effected by a documentary since Fahrenheit 9/11 (yeah yeah) - It follows Shark Conservationist Rob Stewart on his journey through Costa Rica and the Galapagos islands to expose the illegal Shark Fin trade (billion dollar a year industry), and debunk myths and stereotypes that people have about Sharks.

Some crazy shit goes on in what I thought would be a pretty tame oceanographic documentary. While aboard the Sea Shepherd Conservation Societies ship, they are attacked by pirates in Guatemala, rammed by Shark poachers, chased by Gun-Boats... Crazy shit! I mean, they're under arrest in Costa Rica and just pull anchor and make a break for international waters! So bad ass! Not only that, but Rob gets flesh-eating bacteria, which freaked me out because that disease is nuts.

Anyways, besides all the action and gnarliness, there were a LOT of interesting facts about sharks that I had no idea about. How crucial they are to the oceans food chain, how unaggressive they are and how their numbers have decreased by 90%!

There are some extremely graphic moments in this movie, and I will warn everybody to have a box of tissues ready for this film, one scene which I will probably never forget for the rest of my life. Some absolutely shocking images for sure, so be warned.

Bottom line - I fucking LOVE sharks now. I hit up www.savingsharks.com immediately after watching the film, and I am very very tempted to travel down to Costa Rica and join in on some anti-finning protests. Not only was this film absolutely beautiful (shot in full HD), but the content impacted me very seriously, and I hope that everyone check out this movie!

0 comments: